Friday, January 9, 2015

Day 9 of 30 Paintings in 30 Days - Kind of like an apple a day!

15-10 An Apple a Day 4x4 Oil
I was thinking this morning about the fact that I'm almost 1/3 of the way through the challenge and how this 30 Paintings in 30 Days is kind of like the old saying "An Apple a Day".  I find it is really challenging me and helping to make me a 'healthier' painter.  While I paint almost every day, I don't always FINISH a painting every day.  This challenge is helping me better plan things like color selection and brush strokes among other things.  Other things being a simple enough composition so I can finish it and yet still challenge myself.  I get bored easily, so changing things up keeps me going.

On this train of thought, I decided to paint an apple!  A little apple - 4"x4" oil on textured Ampersand board.  Originally I wanted to only use two colors plus white again and use the complimentary colors of green and red.  I realized when it was done, it kind of looked like a Christmas ornament and was quite boring.  So I opted to use teal for the background and added some teal into the apple to tie it all together.  So three colors plus white this time around.  I did keep this at under a half hour though.  I started it early this AM, got it almost done and decided I didn't like it (Christmas ornament) and wiped it.  I started it again after work and finished within the half hour timeframe.  I wonder if that counts! If I tack on the time I spent on the first apple, I spent over a half hour, but since it was a total wipe, I'm calling it a half hour for the second try!  TGIF everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment