Thursday, January 8, 2015

Day 8 of 30 in 30 and Baby, It's Cold Outside

15-9 Florida Dreaming, Oil on Copper
Wow, it is COLD.  Granted, I just got back from Florida so even though I was only there for less than 48 hours, this chill is a shock to my system!  Although I'm pretty sure it still would be even if I didn't go to Florida.  I will say, I miss that January Florida weather already.

I enjoyed the sunrise in St. Pete yesterday and snapped a few photos, one of a palm tree.  I based this painting on that photo.  It's oil on copper and is 6"x6"

I wanted to challenge myself so I used only two colors plus white:  blue and orange.  The two complimentary colors were really fun to work with.  And by mixing both, I got a nice "black" for the silhouette.  I also timed myself.  I didn't start this until after work and I wanted to finish it within 45 minutes, so I started at about 5:30 and finished before 6:15.  I really worked to limit the brush strokes, so I laid in the color and then used a dry brush at the end to soften and blend quickly.  I also wanted to make sure I got some movement in the palms too.  It was fun and I may try another one with two colors and time constraint tomorrow.

Stay warm! It's freezing!  Literally...

No comments:

Post a Comment